Lemon Curd Recipe & Lemon Coffee Cake with Almond Streusel to go with it!Posted: March 28, 2013
A crazy week of positives and negatives…
At the beginning of this week I was worried about the lemon curd which was lying in the fridge for quiet some time. Discovery of some kinda new allergy attack made my week depressing. So I decided that I had to take care of two things this week – 1. the lemon curd and 2. bring back the positive energy in me. I chose to bake!
I discovered my local chicken shop selling free range eggs, a little smaller but cheaper than the super market ones. I decided to make some lemon curd and perhaps some dessert too! This was about 10 days back, when I was positive and with no signs of allergy.
Last week I’ve been diagnosed of some allergy (not sure yet) and I had to drastically change my diet. Now I’m following a vegan diet (temporarily). I must admit that I feel much better now! 🙂
Lemon curd is so easy to make that you can really wow your friends or guests! In 15 minutes you have yourself a jar of deliciousness!
Ingredients for Lemon Curd with free range eggs
3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
4tbs salted butter
zest from 2 lemons
- In a pan, whisk together egg yolk and egg until combines.
- While whisking, pour in sugar, lemon juice and zest, and continue whisking until creamy and well incorporated, about one minute.
- Place over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the custard thickens and can coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the butter.
- Strain into a bowl or jar and chill in the refrigerator, covered.
- You can refrigerate for two weeks and you get about 150gms of lemon curd.
You can lick lemon curd straight up from the jar or slash it on your toast. Nothing can beat the satisfaction of a home made lemon curd! You can also use them in making bars, muffins or cakes. Don’t worry I have figured out the right recipe for you ;). When I first looked at this recipe, I knew that I’m going to feel positive again! It didn’t matter to me if I can eat it. But, all I knew is that I’m creating something divine!
Ingredients for Lemon Coffee Cake with Almond Streusel
140gms all purpose flour
80gms whole wheat flour
1stp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
100gms salted butter
150gms raw sugar
2 large eggs
zest of 2 lemons
50gms almond meal (coarse ground almonds with skin in a mixer)
25gms raw sugar
50gms salted butter
50gms whole wheat flour
- Make the streusel by combining the almond meal, flour, sugar and butter in a bowl. Mix until the streusel comes together into a course crumble. Chill in the refrigerator until later.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder and baking soda.
- Cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest in the bowl until light and fluffy, for about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, incorporating them one at a time.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture, alternating with yogurt.
- Put half the batter in the cake pan (8″) and smooth evenly. Drizzle about 75gms of the lemon curd on top, making sure to leave a 1 inch border from the inner and outer perimeter (to avoid the risk browning the edges of the cake). Top with the remaining batter, using a spatula to smooth. (I added more lemon curd in the center and due to it’s weight, my cake was a little sunken in the center)
- Pour remaining lemon curd on top, again leaving room around the perimeter. Spread the streusel on top.
Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow it to cool completely. Serves 6. Best had with your evening coffee or with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.
So enjoy your cake with a lot of Vitamin C and positive energy! 🙂