Banana & Coconut Sugar MuffinPosted: May 11, 2013
Muffins are easy to keep for a week and can be had with your morning cup of coffee. I like to start my day with a muffin and some iced coconut sugar drink to beat the heat!
I used coconut oil for the first time in baking and liked the texture of my muffins. It does leave a slight coconut flavor but I have no complaints. Coconut oil is a good substitute for butter and vegan recipes. Some basic points to keep in mind for baking with coconut oil.
Wondering what coconut sugar taste or looks like? Read my post about it here with a cookie recipe.
100 gms of wheat flour
100 gms of amaranth flour
80gms of coconut oil
125-150gms of coconut sugar
2 overly ripe bananas
1tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
a pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven at 160 degree centigrade.
- Sieve the flours along with baking soda and powder.
- Mash the bananas in a bowl. Add coconut sugar, salt and oil and mix. Add egg and beat until mixed well.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients gently and mix it with the help of a spatula.
- Pour the mixture into the greased muffin pan and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until its done based on your oven settings.
- Allow it to cool on a wire rack for about one hour.
- Store it in an air tight container for 2 days or refrigerate for a week. Makes 12-16 muffins.
- You can make an egg less or vegan version by mixing 2tbs of flax seed powder with 4tbs of warm water.
- You can choose to add nuts like walnuts or almonds.
- You could also top it with some cocoa nibs.
- Dark chocolate chips can also be added to these muffins.