Polenta CakePosted: July 23, 2013
Polenta is a new ingredient that I have been exploring in different ways, a cake is what I came up with; different isnt it? It is also a gluten free ingredient. Gluten is a protein found in many grains like wheat, bulgur (dalia), couscous, oats etc. A lot of people these days are either being diagnosed as gluten intolerant or choose to go on a gluten free diet for various reasons. What I realized was that polenta is a great ingredient to work with! From savory to sweet, it knows how exactly to blend in with its fellow ingredients. Polenta is also a great substitute for mashed potatoes or you could also serve them as a side in your steaks or bakes.
Polenta cake has a nice moist, grainy and crumbly texture. The minute I saw the finished cake, I knew it has to be good! This cake can be served with your tea/coffee or as a dessert. I recently had some guests at home and served it with some poached peaches, infused with vanilla. You could also use mixed poached fruits to give it a nice colorful and fruitful appeal. I also served mine with some cream cheese. However, my friends on the second serving suggested that ice-cream would be a really good option.
100 gms fine polenta
100 gms ground almond or almond meal
100 gms butter at room temperature
100 gms raw sugar
5 gms baking powder
2 eggs at room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract or pure vanilla powder
- Sieve polenta and baking powder in a bowl. Add almond meal and mix. Keep this dry mix aside.
- Mix the butter and sugar in a separate bowl. Add eggs and mix until creamy in texture.
- Add vanilla and dry mix to this wet mixture. Mix until combined. Do not mix vigorously.
- Put this mixture in a round cake pan and bake at 180 degree centigrade in a pre heated oven for about 25 minutes or depending on your oven settings.
- Test the cake by inserting a tooth pick and checking if the center is cooked. Cool on a wire rack for at two hours and serve warm or cold with ice-cream or some poached fruits.
I’ve noticed that the cake tastes much better the next day or on a third day. You can store this cake at room temperature for 3 days in cold weather condition.
Ingredients like polenta & raw sugar are available at i2cook.com.