My all time favorite snack is banana bread. It is not only easy to make but it is so tasty and healthy! The best part about banana bread is that you can always play with different ingredients. I usually make banana bread with whole wheat flour. This time, I wanted to try the gluten-free version by using millet flours that were lying in my pantry for sometime. I’ve made this bread couple of times as this particular recipe has become one of my new favorite. I’ve used two types of millets – pearl and amaranth. The addition of almond meal gives this banana bread a nice texture and a nutty taste. Coconut oil is something that I love using in my banana bread as it imparts a pleasant aroma and is also an healthy option when compared to butter. More about coconut oil here and coconut sugar here.
75 gms finger millet flour or ragi
75 gms amaranth flour
50 gms almond meal
1 medium sized or two small over ripe banana, mashed
80 gms coconut oil (some extra to grease the pan)
80 gms coconut sugar
1 tsp baking soda
a pinch of salt
few pieces choco chips or cocao nibs (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 160 degree centigrade and grease a 8 by 4 inch loaf pan or equivalent.
- Sieve the flours along with baking soda and salt.
- Add coconut oil, coconut sugar and beat until mixed well. Add egg and lightly beat.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients (with mashed banana) and mix some choco chips gently with the help of a spatula.
- Pour the mixture into the greased pan and bake for about 45 minutes or until its done based on your oven settings.
- Allow it to cool on a wire rack for about one hour before slicing.