Festivals are all about eating…Aren’t they?! 🙂 Today, is the last day of Ganapati visarjan and I thought why not share a simple recipe of one of my favourite and versatile ingredient “coconut sugar“. I’ve made cookies, caramel sauce, kheer and decided to make something new again. Coconut sugar has a very dominating flavor of coffee like caramel. I made use of the ingredients that I had at home and decided to make some coconut sugar ladoos for the festive season. I have used poha or beaten flat rice to make these gluten free ladoos. Just with four ingredients, these ladoos are not only easy to make but can be made in just 15 minutes flat!
2 cups beaten flat rice or brown poha
1/2 tsp cardamon powder
2 tbs of chopped cashew
1 tbs of raisins
1/2 cup ghee
1 cup coconut sugar or more according to your taste
- Lightly toast the flat rice until light brown.
- Allow it to cool and grind in the mixer until fine like powder
- Heat ghee and coconut sugar in the pan until the ingredients melt.
- Add this warm mixture to the flat rice powder with some cardamon powder.
- Mix well until combined.
- Take a tablespoon of mixture in your palm and round them into a ball.
- These balls tend to be soft in nature. Be careful to place them on a plate and allow it to sit for half an hour before transferring into a container. They become firm after a while. I made 20 ladoos. Store in an air tight container upto 15 days. I’ve noticed that they taste better after two days.
I hope I have convinced you enough about this versatile sweetener. You can buy coconut sugar here…